There I was, using my Project Life album, taking lots of pictures, documenting everything and thoroughly enjoying myself.
Then things started to get difficult.
- The size of the album became too big for me. It takes up a lot of room on my desk and it's quite heavy to lug around.
- A light came on in my head. I actually lost sleep over this! I realised, by looking back at my previous journal, that I am primarily a journaler and use pictures to help tell my story, not the other way around. The thing with 12 x 12 is that it's great if you've got kids and they're doing different things every day for you to take photographs of. My problem is that I spend a lot of time at work (including weekends) my children are all grown up and gone and I only get to see the grandchildren once every six weeks, so there aren't lots of things to photograph. BUT that doesn't mean I don't like my life and I still want to document what goes on.
- So I started looking around at alternatives and at first I thought a Smash book might be the way forward, but after a few weeks of trawling Pinterest, I realised that wasn't quite what I wanted to do either.
- So a plan gradually began to form, by taking the best bits from each style of life documentation.
- I wanted something smaller than 12 x 12, something I could keep open on my desk all the time.
- I love the pocket journaling idea, just not so many on one page.
- I wanted it to be in a clip file so I could re-arrange things as often as I needed to. And I do this a lot as it turns out.
- So my first 6x8 file was born. I know you're going to think this is mad, but once my mind was made up I actually slept properly for the first time in a week!
So in September we went on holiday for a week, and when we got back I started on my new baby clip file (about £3, from W H Smiths!)
Here are the first couple of pages:
Is it a bit sad that I felt like crying with happiness once I'd worked out how I wanted to do it?! Finally finding the size I wanted and being able to write in it to my heart's content have made me unbelievably happy!
More to come soon, I'm sure